Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Playstation3 = Next Gen / Xbox360 = not so much

I've begun to notice a trend over the last few weeks,PS2 gamers who have never owned an Xbox or even played one many times are very impressed by the Xbox360.I've listened to these very people continue on about how awesome the graphics are and what not.Whats funny about that is that most Xbox gamers or people who have played alot of Xbox games aren't as impressed.And if you think about it that makes perfect sense.

Me,I'm an Xbox gamer,have been for the last few years.So you might understand why I'm not impressed with the 360's graphics(or not).As an Xbox gamer I'm used to seeing bumpmapping,normal mapping,fur shading and 480p-720p resolutions.I've played through The Chronicles of Riddick:Escape from Butcher Bay,I've seen SoulCalibur2 in 720p and list goes on and on:

Doom 3
Half-Life 2
Conker:Live and Reloaded
Dead or Alive Ultimate
yadda,yadda,yadda,you get the point.
So seeing the graphics on all these Xbox360 launch titles is just unimpressive.Period.The things I'm seeing really don't look like next-gen stuff.Now I know that the games were all rushed and that the next wave of titles are sure to look amazingly next-gen(especially if they are running on the Unreal Engine 3 ),but it's not just the games that I'm unimpressed with,it's the hardware.When compared side-by-side with the Playstation3,the Xbox360 falls way short.Let's compare,shall we.

    Playstation3
    Next Gen optical drive:yes,Blu Ray
    Digital video connector:yes,2 HDMI outputs
    built in wireless internet: yes
    wireless controllers:yes,7
    CPU speed:2 terraflops
    USB inputs:yes,6
    full backwards compat:yes,PS1 & PS2
    1080p resolution:yes
    Xbox360
    Next Gen optical drive:no
    Digital video connector:no
    built in wireless internet:no
    wireless controllers:yes,4
    CPU speed:1 terraflop
    USB inputs:yes,3
    full backwards compat:no
    1080p resolution:no


So as you can see ,the PS3 is much more of a "next-gen" machine than the 360 is.Hell,the 360 doesn't even upconvert DVD movies to HD,which is almost an industry standard for DVD players now.
Microsoft claims that there is no need for an HD optical drive or 1080p because there aren't any 1080p tv's.The funny thing about that is that there have been 1080p tv's where I work for months now.So by the time the PS3 ships,there will be plenty of them out there.And don't let anyone tell you that 1080p isn't that much better than 720p,especially since 1080p is twice the number of pixels that 720p is.
So will I buy an Xbox360 before the PS3 comes out?I'm sure I will,but I'm not in any hurry to do it.I think that the next generation will arrive with the PS3 and I'll be preordering one of those.I.Can't.Wait.

No comments: