Friday, May 25, 2012

Xbox Live 48 Hour Gold Trial = The Anti Fun


Two times over the past week I've used one of Microsoft's 48 hour Xbox Live gold trials,and twice I've been burned.The first time was for a friend of mine who recently moved and can no longer get broadband.He brought his Xbox360 over to sign into Xbox Live on my internet and download new updates,Operation Anchorage,and new demos.When we tried to download the Halo Wars demo we were informed that it was specifically for gold members.My copy of Fable II came with a 48 hour free gold trial so I figured that I would use that and he could get the demo.Wrong.Apparently the 48 hour gold trial doesn't allow you to download items specific to gold members.
The second time was today when I noticed that Halo 3's Double EXP Weekend playlist was "V-day Massacre",a playlist for couples to spend some time together in Halo 3.It is a ranked playlist that consists of multiple teams of two(couples) vying for different objectives.I informed my wife,who never plays Halo,that Bungie had this cool couples gametype going for Valentines Day and that we should play,she agreed.She has a silver account for when we play Rock Band and Guitar Hero locally,but I knew I would have to set her up with gold for online play.So I break out yet another 48 hour gold trial,this one from Gears 2,and get all setup and ready to go.When I enter the matchmaking lobby with both our gamertags signed in I notice that her gamertag is flashing.Thats when I see the message to the left that says "this playlist reserved for gold members",or something to that effect.Sigh...
So apparently the 48 hour gold trial doesn't really let you try what it's like to have a gold membership.Confused?Well you should be because this shit makes absolutely no sense.So what excactly can you do with the 48 hour gold trial?Play unranked online games and download designated content,that's what.My wife has never been interested in making her account gold as she doesn't play games online,but who knows,this could've changed her mind.I guess we'll never know.Good job Microsoft, you just red ringed your chances of getting a third gold membership out of me.

No comments: