Friday, May 25, 2012

New Games & Bargain Bin Hotness

So I seem to have bought a few "new" games here lately,emphasis on "new" because most of them were "used".So technically the only "new" game I bought was Call of Juarez:Bound in Blood.I remembered playing the demo for the first game quite some time ago and not hating it (not much of a ringing endorsement is it).So when I read Scooter's review of Bound in Blood (see above link for review) it piqued my interest enough for me to buy it.Being from the south I was pretty intrigued by the whole "southern brothers abandon confederate unit to protect homestead from yankee scum" storyline.Me and my son took turns playing through the chapters of the game and were able to finish it in a couple of nights (I think,it may have taken more than 2,I can't remember).

I liked the story and the gunplay was really fun.I especially enjoyed the "Dual" mode where you engage in a gun dual with boss characters.In this mode the camera would focus on your character's gun (on your waist),moving the analog stick would move the character's arm up,down,left or right while moving the other stick would make him slowly walk left or right.The point was to keep your guy's hand as close to his gun as possible so that when the bell rang you could grab your gun really quick and shoot the other guy first.

There are also concentration modes which are basically the wild west version of "bullet time",everything slows down and you shoot as many dudes as possible before it goes back to normal.The ability to upgrade to better quality weapons also managed to keep things fresh.Ultimately I thought the game was pretty damn good.Unfortunately,I enjoyed the story so much that I went and bought a used copy of the first game to continue the story.The new game is actually a prequel,so playing it before the original is actually chronologically correct.But as it turns out the first game sucks ass and I will no longer be playing it.Moving on........
Here is a list of the used games I bought that I have yet to play:
  • Too Human: I bought this because I don't think the game was given a fair shake because it's developer is a dousche bag.I played the demo back when the game came out and thought it was pretty good.

  • Blue Dragon:Another game that I played the demo for way back when and enjoyed but never got around to buying.

  • The Darkness:Yet another game where I played the demo and liked it but never bought it.Good things come to those who wait I guess.

  • Far Cry 2:I really wanted to get this back when it came out but it kinda got lost in the holiday shuffle,I'm really looking forward to playing this.


Well that's pretty much it for now,I have been playing Fable II again with the intent of finishing it (3 of my cousins recently bought it and all but 1 have finished the game and I bought the game when it launched,shameful).

No comments: