Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Halo:Combat Evolved Redux

I began playing Halo:Combat Evolved on my Xbox360 the other day.The reasoning for doing this was because you can't transfer your xbox1 game saves to the 360 and I wanted to go ahead and unlock all the levels on Halo:CE for my son.
When I began playing it the other day i noticed that,even though it was running in 1080i,the aspect ratio was defaulting to 4:3 instead of 16:9,leaving black bars on the left and right sides of my tv.The reason is because when Bungie developed Halo:CE,they didn't do so with widescreen tv's in mind.Considering it was the same game I had been playing alot since 2001 and was running in HD with 4x anti-aliasing,the graphics initially weren't noticibly better.
Apparently the reason was that most tv's won't let you change the screen format(format=wide mode,zoom,wide zoom,smart stretch,etc.,etc.) when in an HD resolution(720p,1080i,1080p).My tv,on the other hand,will.It has a "wide" setting which will stretch a 4:3 HD signal to fill up the screen.But not only does it stretch the picture but it also zooms in a little .As a result you lose the actual HD resolution in the process.
So to get the point,I played it in that "wide" screen format for the entire first level(Pillar of Autumn).When I got to level 2(Halo),I changed it back to the cropped off 4:3 format.And man did that ever make a difference.Over the last couple of days I have played through to level 8(Two Betrayals) and the graphics haven't let up one bit.I am not kidding when I say that Halo:CE in HD looks much better than Halo2(in Hd as well) but it also looks arguably better than alot of actual xbox360 games.I am not kidding ,it looks that good.The bumpmapping and high res textures just jump out at you like never before.I mean,this is a game I have quite literally played through more than 20 times.
I kept finding myself stopping just to admire something that previously wasn't that great.I have always said that Halo:CE,to this day,is one of the xbox1's best looking games.but now ,it's also one of the xbox360's best looking games.I would try to show so0me screens or something,but to be honest I had already seen comparison screens before I played it myself and they do not do it justice.
If you have a 360,Halo:CE and an HD tv,then you have got to try this out.And don't try to change the format either,just leave it square with the black bars on the sides,it doesn't take long to get used to.trust me,it'll be worth it.

No comments: