Sunday, May 20, 2012

Clarity for the Confused

I just got through reading this 3-page article on IGN about how game console manufacturers are all touting HDTV as the future of gaming(except the big N).As it says in my profile my job is that I am a Home Theater installer.I work for the most respected audio/video store in my city and it has been around for over 30 years.Every single day I deliver and install high def tv's and surround sound systems.And all the time I hear customers asking about the federal mandate to make all over-the-air tv channel broadcasts digital.Not high definition.Digital.So let me clarify what you will have to do by December 31,2008 when the mandate is issued and all analog-over-the-air tv broadcasts are terminated.YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO BUY AN HDTV.YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO BUY A DIGITAL TV.YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING.You see,if you go to Best Buy,Circuit City or any other conglomerate Im sure that they will tell you that you will have to have an HDTV by the time the mandate hits(or maybe some more informed will say that you just need a digital tv).You see,the mandate has NOTHING to do with your tv,only the type of signal your tv's built-in tuner can recieve.The fact is in todays society,almost everyone has either cable tv or satelite.If you have either one of those two then you will NOT need a new tv.Now,cable will have to change before the mandate b/c they are still broadcasting channels in analog,but again that has nothing to do with your tv.If you have satelite then you will have to do nothing b/c all satelite channels are already broadcasted in digital.To sum it all up the only thing that the switch will affect is an analog tv's built-in-tv tuner.If you have a cable box or satelite receiver then you dont have to do anything.

No comments: