Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Fight Club:Doom3 Edition



The craziest damn thing happened to me last night.I called up my buddy Josh to see what he was up to.He told me that he had rented the Doom movie .He then tells me that the movie has an Xbox Live playable demo of the game on it and that he had created a room and was playing it at that very moment.Since I have the full retail game,I decided to try to join his room,but soon found out that the demo version wouldn't work with the retail version.So after Josh reminds me that I probably have the Official Xbox Magezine demo disk w/the Doom3 demo on it I was ready to play.

So I pop in the OXM disc ,start the demo and join Josh's room.The first thing I notice is that the game is much faster in multiplayer than in single player.At first it was just me and Josh in the game and then another guy by the gamertag of wbkiller joins the match.After about 20 minutes of your regular deathmatching,I meet Josh in a hallway where he tells me to pull out my fist so we can go hand-to-hand.So I put my dukes up and we go at it,I don't remember who actually won that first fight,but what I do remember is how much damn fun it was.At this point we decide to make it a rule for the room,"NO WEAPONS,ONLY FIST".The fellow that I mentioned earlier,"wbkiller",gladly accepted and it wasn't long before all three of us were in a room duking it out and laughing our collective asses off.

After having to boot a number of latecomers for not wanting to succumb to the rules of the room ,a lady by the gamertag of "blackwidow" joined the beat down.Josh had set the room to infinte kills and no time limit so after over two hours of this madness(yes, you read that right,2 hours of nothing but fist of fury)Josh had to go.Being that he was the host,the game ended after he disconnected,but since the rest of us weren't through having our hand to hand fun,I sent the other two friend requests,started a room and it all started back agagin.This time I set it to "30 frags" and "30 minutes".But we still had a blast.

It's funny how it's possible to take a game and do something with it that the developers never intended,but would probably love to see.Back before Halo2 came out, me and my son,who was about 2yrs. old at the time,used to do this thing in Halo1 that he called "doing yahoo!!".Basically we would create a multiplayer game on Bloodgulch,each get in a warthog,and drive full speed into each other usually sending one,if not both of us hurdling through the air.We actually still crank up Halo1 sometimes for some "yahoo" action.Another good example is all the user made races for PGR2 online like,"cat and mouse" and "last man standing".Another good one is "attack of the zombies" in Halo2.And I'm sure there are lots of others in plenty of other games out there.

It's nice to know that given all the great games readily available to us all,we still haven't lost our sense of imagination.

No comments: