Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Bargain Bin Gaming

The beginning of a new generation of hardware is always a strange time.You always have this awesome new hardware that just came out but does'nt really have any "knock-your-socks-off" games available for it.Most of the games only look margianally better than their current-gen cousins and yet they cost $10 more.WTF?!?!On the flipside you have your current-gen systems which are seeing some of their best games yet.And then there is the "bargain bin".

The beautiful thing about the end/beginning of a hardware generation is that the retailers immediately start trying to get rid of their current-gen game stocks,and that is when I usually buy most of my games.I started hitting the bargain bins at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago and since then I have bought Pariah ,Unreal Championship 2:the Liandri Conflict and Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory.




I remember really wanting to get Pariah back when the game was still in development and Digital Extremes and all the mags and websites were hyping the hell out of it.Now I've been into this stuff long enough to know not to buy into the hype,but what had me interested in Pariah was the level editor.Since it was the first game to do it I really wanted it.Plus the single player game sounded pretty cool : upgradable weapons,great graphics (at that time) and really good AI(so they said).

I've been playing on the single player for a bit now and it's "OK",not bad and not great,just"OK".The graphics are still pretty good,not very consistent though,some stuff looks really good while other stuff looks pretty bland.The upgradable weapons are pretty cool but it's not the "dramatic" change that I was expecting.The AI is a bit tricky,on the one hand it flanks and does all this cool "AI" type stuff,on the other hand they are still easy to kill most of the time.I saw some really weird bugs though that led me to believe that the developers were being lazy at times.But not bad for $19.99 brand new.



This is another game that I was really looking forward to during development.What made me not buy it when it came out was the demo that came in an OXM before the game shipped.I couldn't really get into the fast paced action that the game brought and didn't buy it as a result.I'm able to get into it alot better now though.I love the melee combat ,I even leave it in 3rd-person view when I'm using guns (thats a result of playing too much Socom3).It has somewhat of a "real" story this time as well,still not a "single player campaign" like Halo,but some story none-the-less.Good game though ,I like it.



Not really a whole lot to say about this game.I already had the game and lost it so I bought it again.By now anyone who plays games knows about Chaos Theory,it's the shiat in spy games.Above average single player and not one but two awesomernesstacular online modes.A 2 vs. 2 "spys vs. mercs" online mode and a 2 player co-op "single player" style mode where you and a buddy can both play as spies over live and take advantage of AI controlled baddies.If you don't already have this game then you should really slap yourself 4.5 times and go buy it,and seeing that it's now in the "Platinum Hits" line and is only $19.99,what reason do you have not to.

No comments: